Cooking Time: 50 min
Prep Time: 10 min
This kaddu ki sabzi is made without any oil. Its dairy free and contains no onions or garlic. Its simple, refreshing and delicious.
- 750gm kaddu (green Pumpkin)- unpeeled, cut into cubes
- pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1″ ginger
- 1 salt to taste
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 2 dry red chillies – broken into small pieces
- 1 tbsp tur dal
- 1 tbsp urad dal
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp jeera
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 2 tbsp grated coconut or desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup pulp from 1 Small Lemon Size Tamarind
- coriander leaves for garnish
For a video of this recipe, click on the image below:
To Prepare Masala
- Dry roast the ingredients – red chillies through curry leaves
- Lightly roast the grated coconut separately, no need to roast desiccated coconut
- Once the tur dal turns golden, remove, cool add the grated coconut & tamarind pulp
- Blend to a smooth paste
To Prepare Tempering
- In a tadka pan and add mustard seeds.
- Once they splutter, turn off the heat and add turmeric powder.
To Prepare Kaddu Subzi
- In a pot, add water, this tempering of mustard seeds and turmeric, grated ginger, salt and asafoetida
- Once the water starts boiling, add the pumpkin pieces and let it cook for 10-12 minutes until the pieces are soft but retain shape. You can check after 5-7 minutes and add water if required.
- If you find some water is left, do not drain it.
- You can also steam the kaddu/pumpkin pieces and add to half the quantity of water.
- Add masala paste to the cooked pumpkin cubes in the same pan and mix it well.
- Let is cook on a low flame. The excess water should get absorbed by the masala. Add a little more water if necessary.
- Once ready, garnish with coriander and serve.
This dish will taste great with chapati, millet rice or dosa!