I used period panties in my teenage. Those panties were slightly thicker and had a plastic layer in the middle (by middle I mean the small rectangle area where you place your pad) and a very thin sponge insert, with two straps for holding the insert. The benefit was almost nil, as in those days we used the adhesive based disposable sanitary napkins. The base of the napkin once fixed upon the plastic of the panty was very difficult to remove and often tore the pad. Additionally the straps getting soiled gave a wet feeling. Hence I had to discard the panty as using pads alone was a better option relatively.
Recently, I again came across the period panty concept from Hygiene and You. It interested me to give a try after seeing the images. Now talking about the “SOCH” Period Panty; Frankly, initially I wasn’t willing to buy as I am a cup user and also suffer with inner thigh rashes in the humid climate of Goa. Though the panty also mentioned to be a good back up for the cup users just in case of emergency; I was still in a dilemma as online purchase gives no scope for analysis especially when I am very particular about buying underwear due to my rash problem. Then I thought of giving it a try considering my daughter who will not be introduced to cups till she reaches adulthood, for her cloth pads are the only option for me to consider (down the line though) and period panty might boost her confidence as there wasn’t any plastic or adhesives like we had in our days; and therefore I decided to give a try for my experience, well in advance prior to giving her.
The panty arrived exactly “on time” and was shown to everyone in my neighbourhood as I keep motivating them to switch from the disposable pads. Hurriedly I washed it in the washing machine along with other laundry and hanged on the cloth line. It wasn’t dry till late evening, thanks to the heavy monsoon of Goa 😊 and I had to tumble dry it. Post drying it looked and smelled fresh as ever.
Finally on the fourth day my period the panty was inaugurated along with the insert accompanying it (First three days missed due to washing and drying). Since my flow reduces from the third day itself, I was sure the panty alone
will do wonders. It took great care for my entire day at work; surprisingly the insert which was without any leak-proof layer seized my flow very well. I changed the insert with a cloth pad later (the straps got slightly soiled, and I had no
extra insert too). The cloth pad covered the straps completely and without any worry I sat on the rocking chair and had a peaceful sleep as I was sure the panty will not allow any back leakage which otherwise I face with small to medium-sized pads (approx. 26 cm in length).
The panty covers the whole front and back portion with a soft blue colored combed cotton leak-proof layer and can be used with the following combinations to get complete protection:
- Cloth Pads + Period Panty – Will give you 100% protection; 4 pads or so along with one panty will make your entire day more than “Carefree” or “Stayfree” with no “whispering” required 😊
- Inserts / Foldable Inserts + Period Panty – Remember the panty is very good insert holder, the straps may get slightly stained but they are absorbent too, and can make your day comfortable. This is a good option for those who are hesitant in drying their pads in open.
- Home-made inserts or foldable cloth – Made from old rags or cotton sari will be a suitable and economic option. All you have to invest is only on the panty.
- Menstrual Cup + Period Panty – Period panty can hold your flow very well if your cup is full and starts leaking or if it’s not inserted properly and starts leaking. In short it will supplement the usage of cup.
- Period Panty alone – Yes, you read it right. The panty alone can act as a one man’s army for few hours. You can also wear it when you are likely to get your periods especially when you are travelling and have lesser options for restrooms.
Now let’s discuss few merits and demerits to summarize:
- Guarantees a complete protection, you will not have to face any embarrassments due to stains or leakage.
- Very soft in touch and feel (as soft as butter), no worries about rashes.
- Leak proof layer provided from front to back guarantees no suspicion, even if you are out for the whole day.
- Can be used for daily discharge too apart from menstruation.
- Multiple economic options for dealing with periods (as described
above) are available by investing in one panty.
- The panty is pretty expensive compared to other reusable options, but at the same time it’s very promising too.
- It’s a mid-low waist panty (hipster style) and may not be liked by those who prefer high waist ones.
- Available only online – You have to refer the size chart and guesstimate your size here.
- As our body changes (grows, expands or may be reduces) it is unlikely to determine how long it will fit us, and may have to buy another. So couldn’t be used for many years as in case of cloth pads and menstrual
cups; however some may be lucky to have the same size for many years too😊
Overall it’s a wonderful promising product and highly recommended for womanhood.
Disclaimer: The Views and opinions expressed in this blog are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of Health & You, Please use your reasonable judgement before proceeding with purchase or use of any product based on the blog.